Powered by Bravenet Bravenet Blog

Random Images

journal photo

Subscribe to Journal

Saturday, June 12th 2004

11:56 AM

Where does one begin...

Where does one begin when one has been quiet for almost a month? This post will definitely be meandering as I try to update everyone. First, I want to say a thank you to everyone who congratulated me on the journal of the week win last month and for all the wonderful words of encouragement and wisdom shared in response to my addict post.

The same day I won journal of the week (May 17th), is the day things went a bit haywire here. My Standard Poodle pup, Davey, began throwing up that night...all through the night. Tuesday he wouldn't eat or drink a thing and was still throwing up although at this point, it was stomach acids. I called the vet and took him in. They didn't know what to think and suggested an xray and blood work. I knew it was going to be pricey so I told them I wanted to discuss it with my husband and see what he thought. We decided to give him another night and see if he got better by the next morning.

Wednesday, the poor baby was breathing funny and still acting really sick and not touching food or water so I called the vet again and said yes, we would do both suggestions. I took him in and dropped him off and they called later when they were done. I went back in and they had found nothing on the xray and said Davey had been well-behaved...I said he was too sick not to be. The bloodwork wouldn't be back until Thursday morning and the doc he was seeing was off Thursday, but she told us to call the next morning for the results.

That night was a rough night. My pup loves to sleep near me but not against me as he gets too hot. I woke up to him dropping on my pillow and then he kept trying to get as close to me as possible. I was so scared he was dying...his breathing was worse and he seemed so weak. At one point, I woke to find Davey sitting beside me on the bed staring at me. I prayed and prayed over him. Needless to say, I didn't sleep much that night and the next morning, I called about the bloodwork.

They told me the doc that had been seeing Davey was out and I told them that she had told me to call about it. They said they would look for it and call me back. I stayed by Davey trying to keep myself together so I wouldn't worry the kids. Davey kept going from his kennel to under the table. Then back to his kennel. Then beside me. Then back to under the table. He kept facing the wall or corners. The vet finally called and said they had the results but the doctor hadn't looked at them yet.

I told them I felt that Davey was dying and his breathing was really slow and shallow. They asked if I wanted to bring him in. I said yes, they said now? I said yes, I don't think he will make it much longer. So off I went to the vet again. When I got there, I told the kids that I really wish daddy was there with me and about two seconds later, he walked in the door. He really is my night in shining armor.

A different doc looked at him and didn't like what he saw. He wanted to open Davey up immediately and see what was going on. His blood work showed a little elevation in some things which meant he was fighting an infection, but it wasn't crazy enough to have worried them. Seeing Davey, however, showed he was in trouble. My hubby didn't even pause to think about the money, he just said do it. I honestly wasn't sure how far he would go for a 'dog', but I know how much he loves me!

Out in the parking lot, I sent the kids to the Surburban while I walked Bob to his truck. I looked at him and said, "I know Davey is just a dog, but he is my dog and I have waited so long to get one. He means a lot to me." Somewhere in that, I let the tears fall and he hugged me close and told me Davey would be fine.

This is getting so long. To summarize the rest, Davey had apparently chewed through one of his stuffed dog toys and the strong fishing line type stuff they sew it shut with wrapped around the base of his tongue and went down into his stomach. I am not sure how long it was like that but some of the stuffing, a tag and some grass got caught in it and lodged in his tummy. As a result of it sitting there, he developed two serious infections one in his pancreas and one in his stomach lining where all the organs are.

The doctor really couldn't tell us if he would pull through. Davey stayed there for four days and we visited everyday except Sunday (I would have if I they had let me) and the doctors called with many updates. They were amazing! We brought him home and had to feed him 6 pills a day and a bland diet. Poor baby.

I am happy to report that the last of the staples closing his tummy came out yesterday! He has healed nicely and we think the infections have gone. He is back to his old PUPPY self trying to be naughty and taking full advantage of his status as PATIENT! The twerp needs puppy training 101 again, but I am simply thankful that God brought him through this ordeal.

I will post more in another entry.

6 More Meandering Minds.

Posted by Audra:

The bill came to about $1700. We had a yard sale that brought in about $1000 (we sold a ton of DVDs) which helped.
Sunday, June 13th 2004 @ 11:56 AM

Posted by Tiff:

Yeah, I'm so glad he is ok. Our animals are a part of our family around here. I have to ask how much it cost. ACK
Sunday, June 13th 2004 @ 10:21 AM

Posted by Audra:

Thanks. It was great to post.
Sunday, June 13th 2004 @ 7:33 AM

Posted by Peggy:

Praise God Davey is doing well again! It's good to 'hear' from you here in your journal.
Saturday, June 12th 2004 @ 10:10 PM

Posted by Audra:

Hey everyone! This is my dear friend Bev who I have been nagging since my first blog entry to post a message! She blessed me with a post today! Woohoo!
Saturday, June 12th 2004 @ 12:40 PM

Posted by HS4God:

What an awesome testimony of God's goodness!
Saturday, June 12th 2004 @ 12:34 PM

Post New Comment

No Smilies More Smilies »