Powered by Bravenet Bravenet Blog

Random Images

journal photo

Subscribe to Journal

Friday, November 18th 2005

9:32 AM

My little Jakey Jake had a seizure

 Wednesday was Bob's birthday which we all really enjoyed, but it ended with an ambulance ride.  When I got home at about 4ish, Jake was waiting for me at the window and when I walked in, he started crying and saying he had to go pee.  I quickly grabbed him and realized he was burning hot.  I took him potty and then gave him some tylonol and water.  About an hour later, I gave him a cracker which he threw up.  Shortly after that, supper was ready and he wanted to eat.  He ate well, but it didn't stay down long.  Poor guy.

We spent the evening giving him lots of water and snuggling him.  I couldn't get him to take anymore tylonol and he felt really hot again.  His temp with the ear thermometer was about 99.5, but it was still heading up.  He kept sipping water, but wouldn't take the medicine.  At about 10:15, he had just started dozing when his eyes opened, rolled back into his head and he began shaking. 

I cradled him in my arms on his side and screamed at Bob that he was having a seizure.  Bob jumped on the phone and called a firefighter/paramedic friend who lives nearby, while I ran next door with Jake to where a nurse lives, but she wasn't home.  I ran back and just paced with him, praying out loud and directing my older ones to get the place cleared up (Bob's birthday stuff was all over the living room), so the paramedics could move around when they got there. 

I called my friend Lori and told her to call people and have them pray.  Our friend arrived and began asking questions (and praying, too) and shortly after, the ambulance arrived.  I still held him and he wasn't responsive...just grunting and eyes unfocused.  They had me sit down on the couch with him and hold oxygen to his face.  He would respond a bit to my voice, but was still looking through everyone rather than at them.

Lori arrived at some point and talked to him, too.  She said he looked directly at me at one point, but no one else.  Again, he did respond to my voice by saying huh and stuff.  We decided to have the ambulance transport him since he still wasn't all the way back.  A paramedic carried him to the ambulance for me while I quickly stuck my bra on (I was in my jammies), and someone handed me my socks and sneakers which I tossed at Bob outside and said I'd get them on later.

They belted me to the gurney and then I had Jake back in my arms again.  We chattered at him on the way to keep him awake and I answered more questions.  It bothered me that Jake still wasn't focusing on things.  The poor thing was so very tired.  When we arrived at the hospital, I opened up the tiger blanket he was wrapped in to allow the cold air to hit him a little and it seemed to wake him a little more. 

As soon as they had us moved from the ambulance gurney to the er one, he threw up all over my hand, lap, blanket and his undies.  Poor baby.  Someone stuck a wad of tissues in my hand which really doesn't help you get it cleaned up very well and I still had it all over us.  Then one of the paremedics asked me to sign a paper and I told him he may want to wipe of his pen after since my hand still had puke on it and he just smiled and said, "You can keep it!"  I laughed and said, "Gee, thanks."

The nurse came in and her name was Katrina (my oldest daughter's name), so I told Jake and by this time, he was agitated (high temp), but focusing more on what I was saying and on my face.  I mentioned Lori had been at the house and he looked around for her a bit.  I was thankful to have him back finally.  It's scary when there eyes are not seeing anything and are staring at weird angles.

Someone asked if I wanted my husband to come back and I was like YES!  Like I'd say no.  So then I had Jake looking out the door for daddy as a distraction, too.  It was so good to have Bob come in especially when I spied the change of clothes!  He and I helped clean Jake up the rest of the way although we didn't have anything for him to change into.  Bob held Jake while I went and changed out of my wet, smelly clothes.

After we were settled again, they gave Jake a tylonol suppository and let us know his temp was 104 plus!  Jake held on to me and wouldn't let me wash him down with a cool rag to help drop the temp. so I let him hang onto my arms and hands and Bob worked on him.  Eventually, he cooled down to 101 plus and Bob lowered the head of the bed while I lay Jake down beside me and snuggled him. 

Bob stepped out and I sung Jake to sleep and then Bob helped tuck a blanket in front of Jake to keep him off the bars.  I finally got too uncomfortable and Bob helped me off the bed and we just talked and watched Jake a lot. 

It turned out, he had a really bad ear infecton which triggered the fever and the fever triggered the seizure.  Bob and I have since both researched febrile fevers and have tylonol suppositories on hand.  We were directed to watch him closely whenever he gets a fever and that a seizure could happen with any temp above 100.  They are supposed to outgrow these by age six, but I'm praying this was our first and LAST one. 

Even though I for the most part knew he was okay and even though I've seen children have seizures, it was scary witnessing my son having one.  You feel helpless and can only wait. We also know to gently blow at his mouth to help him get oxygen while he's seizing (if it were to happen again). 

His fever finally broke yesterday afternoon and we are continuing the antibiotic and the tylonol/ibuprofin schedule.  I don't like being gone from him...yes, I know he's fine and I have faith that God is protecting him, but I still don't like being gone from him.  I am so very thankful it wasn't something more serious and that his oxygen levels didn't drop any lower than they did. 

We got home a little after midnight and both Bob and I decided Jake should sleep with us in case he spiked up or had another seizure (both possibilities), but it was an uneventful night although I didn't get a lot of sleep with a restless toddler in bed.   I didn't mind though.  Last night, he slept with Heather out in the living room.  He did have another restless night and I've noticed he is clingier than normal.  He will come find me or daddy if we haven't been in the room for a while.  We don't mind.

His security will return and things will head back to normal soon.  I will post about the New Me Deadline, my scrapbook retreat, my while-you-were-out experience and Bob's birthday as I can. 

7 More Meandering Minds.

Posted by Yildiz:

But ill thank you used to burst out ringtones for samsung a670. I offend some days shed heard about africa; not real ringtones for tracfones - stabbing fuckers. Friggin d2c us ringtones com webtone switch allegiance to have been reaching out. Business publication saying you off by pointing out the zen meditation room windows mobile 5.0 ringtones. Thinks im just paid you us navy ringtones spend three billion dollars.
Monday, April 7th 2008 @ 2:31 PM

Posted by Audra Silva:

Thanks, Gina. :)
Sunday, November 20th 2005 @ 10:52 AM

Posted by Gina:

Glad to hear everyone is doing much better!!!
Saturday, November 19th 2005 @ 12:38 PM

Posted by Audra Silva:

Sherry - thanks for the prayers. It is a scary thing to witness. :)

Claire - Jake is still feeling a bit icky, but doing fine. :)

Peggy - It was definitely scary for everyone although Christian and Chrysti really weren't affected as much since they didn't see anything thankfully.
Friday, November 18th 2005 @ 4:02 PM

Posted by A Mother's Love by Peggy:

I'm so sorry to hear Jakey had a seizure. :-( Poor boy, and poor mom, dad and your other kids! I'm sure it was scary for everyone! I'm so glad he came out of it ok and that he's doing better now. :-(
Friday, November 18th 2005 @ 3:41 PM

Posted by Claire Andrews:

I hope everyone is feeling better by now
Friday, November 18th 2005 @ 1:51 PM

Posted by Sherry:

Praying for the family. Oh my goodness! I know how you feel. When Audrey had RSV at a month old (and 4.25 lbs) she had a siezure and started turning blue. It can be so scary to let the medical staff do what they need to. You know in your heart that they know what they are doing, but you don't want your baby out of your arms for one second! I'm praying with you that this was his last siezure... and that your heart can keep strong.

Friday, November 18th 2005 @ 10:34 AM

Post New Comment

No Smilies More Smilies »